With Spring finally springing into action I’ve become slightly obsessed with making crochet bags. They’re just a perfect way to brighten up your spring fashion, from those dark and dismal heavy bags, to light and airy style bags. It signifies the dark winter months are finally over and warm weather, BBQ’s, and dare I say it, trips to the beach are in the near future too! Something so simple as a bag switch just puts me in a good mood. Not to mention it’s time to clean out my own bag, old gum, change, old random paperwork, and a ton of bobby pins are definitely collecting at the bottom of that dark sucker. I think my old bag actually got a little upset with the thought of me casting it into the closet for a few months, I reached in to grab stuff out of the little side pocket and came back out bleeding everywhere….for some odd reason I had a box cutter in there, which I vaguely remember throwing in there for one of my previous projects…So be careful, some bags get a little salty with the new switch. But these new ones are just so darn totes adorbs that you won’t mind 😉
With all of that said I thought it appropriate to share some of my favorite patterns I’ve come across and tried out, as well as a few I’m in the process of working on, or happen to be on my docket in the near future to create.
Boho Chic Styles:
- My latest project came from Make & Do Crew, I love her style here. It’s a dreamy bohemian style bag with lots of fringe! I’ve been crushing over macrame items with fringe lately that I think I’m going to try to make for the nursery, but I digress, this amazing pattern works up relatively quickly, I hate weaving in ends (who doesn’t) but it’s so worth it when you see your final product. I’m still debating on the strap, I think I want to go with the leather but I’m too impatient to go and get it, so I may throw a crochet strap on this guy for now and my next one I’ll feature the leather strap. I highly recommend this pattern, I even got some blush cotton yarn (Lily Sugar ‘N Cream Cotton Yarn) that I cannot wait to try this out with. What could be better than blush, cotton, and fringe? It screams bohemian and Coachella style.
Below are my first run, I have to still make the strap and cut the fringe up correctly and finish weaving in those ends. A little weird angle I’ve got going on these pictures but I’m super excited to finish them and get some good pics up!
- I haven’t tried this one yet, the beads make me apprehensive because I’ve never tried adding them to my projects….yet…but there’s no better time than the present to try new things right? Check out this fun project here, Boho Bead Bag. I love the top portion of the bag, it just gives such an elegant and intricate look! (Note you will have to provide an e-mail address to log-in to the site, there are multiple pages that come up afterward trying to get you to add you to additional e-mail lists, I don’t click into those, after you provide your e-mail initially just got to your e-mail and verify the address and you’re good to go.)
- I’m on the fringe with this one…Just kidding! Love that the entire bag has such movement! The colors the creator chose were silver and grey which are lovely, I’d opt for a more neutral bone/taupe color. I haven’t made this one yet either but he’s on my To-Do for sure! Looks like it’ll work up quickly and easily but has maximum “WOW” effect. Fringe Bag Crochet Pattern
- I haven’t tried this one yet either, but based on my love for this creator’s Tote bag (listed below) I think this is going to be another favorite. Made with a granny square and some fringe 😉 Check her out here. Boho Fringe Purse
- I cannot tell you how much I love this pattern. I have made several bags from this creator using her pattern. The bottom portion was a little timely, but if you have a solid afternoon unbothered by anyone it flies by. Her pattern is easy to follow, I just cannot express how much I love it, if you can’t tell! Top left is the creator’s original beautiful creation. The other three are the variations I have done, more to come and you can find them Here ( I have a navy, ivory, mustard style in the works as we speak)
- Now that I’m moving I truly realize how many plastic bags I have lying around. Most found their way in the proper place (for my household that’s in the laundry room in a large plastic bag hanging) but as I get into moving things in the kitchen I’m finding some rogue ones here and there.
- This is the perfect project! Plarn Tote Bag can be used to replace your grocery bags in the future, or just a good, sturdy, useful bag for whatever you want to tote around with you.
- You need to have this classic beach bag tote in your life! Free Ravelry Pattern found here Beachy Tote Bag. Perfect for all your beach needs, towels, sunglasses, sunscreen, and smuggled booze? No? Water, I meant water. I think this is a good one for me to try too since my husband’s softball games are starting up again, I’ll be able to pack snacks and water and not worry about getting my purse filthy…hmm this is a must!
- This one I thought was adorable, the pattern calls for creating the entire bag out of tulle rather than yarn,I think I would change it up and still use a nice cotton yarn, so it’s sturdy and washable, and add the tulle at the bottom.
- If you take Yoga this may be more your style of tote! It’s also created using my fave cotton yarn! I can’t rave enough about Cotton Yarn lately. I remember it was my first purchase on Craftsy, I got all my yarn shipped to me and immediately started on headbands for whatever reason. Spiral Yoga Matt Tote
I’m so excited to work on more of these bags. I’d love to hear what your favorite crochet totes are, or if you’ve tried any of these and loved them as much as I have!